Before a backpacking trip I weigh everything. I make decisions on what I am bringing based on weight. For example, I will weigh three shirts and decide which one to bring based on which one is lighter.
For a full detailed trip report of the Pukaskwa Coastal Trail, click here.
Here is what I'm carrying on my back:
1. Osprey Ariel Women's Backpack 75L size small (4lbs 14oz/ 2.1kg)
2. Osprey pack rain cover size large (3oz/ 0.9 kg)
3. Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag (1lb 7oz/525g)
4. Outdoor Research Compression Bag for sleeping bag 8L (2.4oz/66g)
5. Jetboil Flash stove (14oz/397g)
6. Two large fuel cans for stove (12.5oz/356g each)
7. MSR Gravityworks Filter (11.1oz/320g)
8. GSI Ultralight Nesting Bowl/Mug (4.3oz/121g)
9. Alite Monarch Chair (20oz/566g) **luxury item**
10. MSR foldable spork (0.35/10g)
12. Small container with Campsoap, J-cloth
13. SPOT Generation 2 emergency beacon (7.4oz/209g)
14. Small First Aid Kit (blister, athletic tape, medications, bandages, etc)
15. Toque (2.5oz)
16. OR Base Sensor gloves (1.2oz, 35g) and Mont Bell waterproof over gloves (1.1oz/32g)
17. Toiletry Kit: toothpaste, toothbrush, lip chap, ear plugs, etc.
18. OR dry stuff sack for clothes 10L (1.9oz/54g)
19. Black Diamond Liquid Point Shell Goretex Paclite rain shell (12.6oz/356g)
20. Mountain Hardwear Dry Q elite full zip rain pants (8oz)
21. Big Agnes Q Core SLX Sleeping Pad (16oz/ 465g)
22. Sea to Summit Ultralight Pillow Regular SIze (5.3oz/60g)
23. Garbage Bags x 3 (for lining pack, wrapping a wet tent in, etc)
24. Food (8 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 7 dinners) (10lbs)
25. Black Diamond SPOT headlamp (3.1oz/90g)
26. Canon Powershot camera, extra battery and SD card (5 oz/141g)
27. Iphone 5S for nighttime reading and possibly useful in emergencies (5.1oz/144g)
28. 1 roll of toilet paper and small bottle of hand sanitizer
29. Sunscreen (0.63oz/17g)
30. Bug jacket (4.5oz/127g)
31. Crocs (7oz/198g)
32. OR Salamandar Gaiters (6oz/170g)
33. Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (7.2oz/205g)
34. Buff (1.1oz/31g)
35. Swiss Army Hiker knife (3.3oz/94g)
36. Nalgene Bottle, 1L (6.2oz, 175g)
37. Platypus Bladder, 1L (1.2oz, 35g)
38. Clothes: OR Ascendent Jacket (10oz/283g), OR Deviator top (6.3oz/178g) Woolx Midweight bottoms (4.8oz/136g), OR Ferrosi Hoody (11.5oz/326g), Bathing Suit, Smartwool light hiking socks (2.5oz/70g), Patagonia Button Sun Shirt (5.5oz/156g)
I will be wearing the Women's MEC Sandbagger Pant, OR Gauge Tee , Marmot ball cap, Smartwool PHd Outdoor Light Cushion socks, Patagonia active briefs and Brooks sportsbra. I will also be using Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles, Arcteryx Bora Mid GTX hiking boots, and Smith Pivlock V90 sunglasses.
My husband is carrying our MSR Hubba Hubba Tent while I carry the stove, fuel, and water filter. Other group members are carrying other group gear like: GPS, batteries, rope, siltarps, compass, map, etc. My group gear portion is the SPOT beacon.
Approximate weight: 36lbs
**Post-Trip: I used everything I brought except my bug jacket (yay!), my first aid supplies (yay again!) and my second can of fuel (one large can was sufficient for 2 people).